Sunday, November 2, 2008

I just want to be ok, be ok, be ok

The crazy medical test sagas continue, although there isn't anything exciting to report. I still haven't heard back the results of the holter monitor test and while I haven't heard official results from the echo cardiogram, the tech who did the test didn't see anything to be concerned about. I've decided this all means that I have a heart condition that has no cure/treatment which means I'll just have to live with it. My doctor said I can do a few things to alleviate the palpitations as they come on, the least embarrassing of which would be to dunk my face in icy cold water. Like I said, that's the least embarrassing option so I won't even go into the other suggestions she had. I doubt I'll be trying any of these things at the gym.

I had been delaying this whole situation for a while now- at least a year or so. One of the problems is that I'm not the type to go to the doctor if I'm not feeling well. I usually just shrug it off and let time heal me. This is fine until I get that attitude towards other people...like the time my brother busted open his lip and I told him to just put a bandaid on it. Turns out he needed 9 stitches. The other issue was health insurance. Not having health insurance for about 10 months was, well, scary. I have a friend who is 28 and broke his leg which needed a boatload of surgeries. He didn't have health insurance and had to file for bankruptcy. I wish our country didn't have such a phobia towards socialized health care.

Now that I'm on AmeriCorps health care, I could finally take the risk of going to the doctor. I still needed a bit of motivation for going, so I made a deal with myself that I couldn't buy the new Ingrid Michaelson Album until I got this all taken care of. I was going to wait until I got all of the test results back, but I decided I needed something to calm my nerves while I wait. Ingrid's rendition of "Over the Rainbow" is quirky and beautiful and everything I would expect from her. Plus the song "Be OK" is appropriate for my circumstances.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Bec,
Any new news on the E shaped hole in yer heart?
I've got to tell you- I have been having sympathy palpitations. I am serious. I will tell you all about them when you come visit.
Yay!

Bryce Perica said...

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues going on with you. Hope the results from the heart tests are good. I know what this is like.

I was at a doctor's appointment for something unrelated to my heart last year when the doc told me I also have a heart murmur. He told me lots of people have them and go through life without them ever being diagnosed, but he still ordered the echo. I thought that was sort of cool, seeing how hard all the valves in my heart were working while the test was being done. Anyway, my test was clear, nothing unusual.

I hope you keep getting results like that.

BP