Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How do I sum it all up?

My AmeriCorps year has ended with mixed emotions. Part of me wants to stick around for another year, but I know that would be a poor choice. I'm glad I have my new life in Austin to look forward to, otherwise I'd be dwelling in my emotions. Here is a list- an attempt to sum up the year (I think Erin did this at some point, so props to her for the idea!)

1- The number of months I lasted as a volunteer coordinator before realizing it was boring and I wanted to work with the kids.
2- How many times I ran our short bus into things. Once causing a significant amount of damage, the other time caused no damage but was very embarrassing with a bus full of kids who will never forget it.
3- the number of "compliments" from kids I received this year: "You have Grinch fingers" "Are you pregnant?" "You look like you were raised on a farm". Kids say the darnedest things.
4- How many supervisors I had. Oy Vey.
5- The number of times I had to vacuum Flamin' Hot Cheetos out of my car
9- How many years these kids still have to go in the program. Long journey.
11- The number of months I got to spend with some pretty terrific kids
16- The number of AmeriCorps I got to work with
46- The number of Dreamers who impacted me more than they'll ever realize.

No comments: