Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Knitted Wonderland

For the past month I’ve been knitting a “tree cozy.” If that concept sounds weird to you, know that you’re not alone. I get a lot of reactions like: “You mean you’re knitting a Snuggie for a tree?” or “Aren’t there better uses for your time and energy?” The answer to both of those questions is “yes,” but let me explain what this is all about.

On March 5, The Blanton Museum plaza on the UT campus will be turned into a knitted wonderland! All 99 trees outside the museum will be yarn-bombed by internationally recognized textile artist Magda Sayeg, in celebration of Explore UT, the University's annual open house. Clearly making coverings for 99 trees is a big task, so Sayeg put a call out to the community of knitters in Austin to help her.

In early January we were invited to an orientation to learn about the project and claim a tree. As soon as I walked into the room, I was tempted to walk right back out. In the auditorium, there were 80 or so people, all knitting. My immediate reaction was “What in the world am I doing here?” I enjoy knitting, but I don’t consider myself a “knitter.” These people were knitters, clearly more knowledgeable, experienced and passionate about knitting than I am. But I sat down anyway and am glad I did. By the end of the meeting I was sold on the idea and excited to take part in this project. I was assigned tree #43, an 84” tall, 30” in circumference beast of a tree.

Some people opted to team up for the project, others like myself are going it alone. I’ve attended a few knitting parties, where we get together to work on our cozies and encourage each other. My favorite aspect of this project has been taking part in this thing that is bigger than myself. I love contributing to this project that is going to create something beautiful and whimsical. I can’t wait to see the results in a few weeks. On March 4th, we’ll all get together to install the art project and transform the plaza into a wonderland of pink and orange and green and turquoise. If you’re in the Austin area, I encourage you to check out the installation which will be there from March 5th - 18th. Go hug a tree (cozy)!

No comments: