Sunday, March 20, 2011

It all started with a butter knife

For Lent this year a few friends and I have decided to give simple living a try. So, we each picked a budget for the 40 days and are limiting our food and entertainment purchases to that budget. I picked $300.

One of our struggles with this intentional living experience was what to do about Spring Break. If we're traveling somewhere, do our transportation costs count? What about other plans? We all agreed to leave it to our own discretion. Since I had to fly to New York for a training this week, the plane ticket alone costing $300, I chose to not include this week in my Lent budget, but still planned to keep costs at a minimum. Therefore, my one day/night in the city would involve cheap food, no-cost attractions (which meant a lot of walking around the city looking at cool stuff) and staying in a hostel rather than a cushy hotel.

So when I got bumped to first class on my flight here, my hopes of frugality were thrown out the window.

It all started with a butter knife. As I packed for the trip at 3am, rushing to leave by 4am to catch my 5:30am flight, I wasn't really thinking clearly. I grabbed my school bag and threw some books and things in it. I completely forgot about the butter knife that I had used for my lunch a few days before. At the airport, security pulled me aside to inspect my bag when that knife came up on the scanner. The TSA lady, who did not have a sense of humor, told me that butter knives were not allowed on the plane. I've heard it's best not to joke with TSA personnel, so I told her it wouldn't happen again, and she let me get on my way.

I arrived at my gate in plenty of time and sat near a woman who was clearly upset. We made small talk and she told me that her mother is in hospice and doesn't have much time left. Thus this woman was trying to get on the next flight to Houston to see her before she passed. I groggily attempted some pastoral care and we parted ways when they started boarding the plane. I got up to the gate, ready to hand over my ticket to be scanned, when they announced they were seeking volunteers to take a later flight with the incentive of a $150 voucher good on a flight within the next year. Thinking about that woman flying standby to see her mother in hospice and knowing I could certainly put that flight voucher to use, I stepped out of line and over to the counter.

The Continental employee was very friendly as he checked for the next available flight. He told me that unfortunately the next flight to Newark wouldn't leave until 11:30, 6 hours later than my original flight. But it was a first class seat. I told him I would take it. I was sad to have less time in NYC, but flying first class was too good to pass up. I walked away with my first class ticket with "***Elite Access*** Seat 1B" printed on it, a $200 voucher and a $6 food voucher. My good deed for the day was turning out to be very good indeed!

As I hopped in line to get some breakfast, I looked over at the departures board, knowing my new flight wouldn't be on there yet. I noticed there was a 6:30 flight to Newark. I gave my food voucher to some girls behind me, hopped back out of line and wandered over to the gate to try my luck at getting on that earlier flight. I figured they'd bump me back to coach, but I didn't mind so much if it meant getting to NYC an hour earlier than I originally planned.

The woman at this counter was not as friendly as the previous chap and she told me the flight was full, but she'd put me on standby. I waited around for 10 minutes until they called my name. I was in luck! There was a seat open and it was now mine. She handed me a ticket with "***Elite Access*** Seat 2A" on it. What?! First class? This really was my lucky day.

First class was lovely. So much leg room. Free DirecTv. Hot towels to wash my hands. A real breakfast. And a butter knife. Not a plastic piece of junk they give you in coach. No, this was a real butter knife. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation. My butter knife was confiscated at security, and now I had one on my tray. Amazing what that ***Elite Access*** can do for you.

It was a fun experience, but also a startling experience of having my privilege tattooed on my forehead. I realize I walk around everyday with my privilege: being white, educated and middle class affords me certain opportunities that many people in this world don't have access to. But those 6 stars and the words "Elite Access" gave me a privilege on a whole new level.

I will never pay for first class seats, but if I get bumped again I'll jump at the opportunity. You know, for sociological research reasons.

No comments: