Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cleaning out the junk drawer

Every six weeks or so, I empty out the junk drawer in my nightstand which accumulates all the stuff that I like to put off to take care of later. Today it occurred to me that I've created another "junk drawer" in the form of my blogger account since I've become really good at starting posts without finishing them usually because I don't think the topic is worthy of posting. Consider this a cleaning out of my blogger junk drawer of all the randomness that has been going on in my head in the past two months.

Colorado is really dry. I think I managed to use the same tube of chap stick the entire time I was in Mississippi where the humidity kept my lips moist and healthy. Colorado is radically different. I think I've gone through 4 tubes of Burt's Bees since I got back here in November. If I keep this up, I'll probably have invested enough money in chap stick to pay for Burt's condo in Aspen and a deluxe hive for his bees.

Muh Dawg Chloe has three passions at this point in life: chasing my mom's cat, creating yellow snow and hiking. She and I only share one common passion and I hope you can correctly guess what that is.

If I were wealthy enough to move up to a ski town (which will probably be never) I would definitely pick Winter Park because the people are great. They are friendly and down to earth and quite laid back. I've been fortunate enough to meet several Winter Park/Fraser residents while volunteering with NSCD and thus far have not meet one that I didn't like. Last week I met the aunt and uncle of the husband of a woman whose parents go to my church. We started talking up a storm about their nephew and wife even though I don't know the couple very well and couldn't tell you their last name! Despite that, I felt like I was chatting with old friends whom I've known forever.

One of my toenails fell off the other day. No warning at all, just fell off. When I ran a 10K three years ago, I had a toenail fall off, but I knew it was coming because it was black and hurting for weeks leading up to the race. I'm not sure what the cause was this time. I should probably look into figuring that out.

The last time my parents and I ate at Red Robin, a hilarious though unfortunate event occurred. There was a birthday at a table across the restaurant and the waitress was bringing over a special dessert with a balloon tied to the fork. As she walked by our table with the beautiful dessert, the balloon got caught in a ceiling fan which ripped the balloon out and took the fork with it. The fork then proceeded to sail in the air and hit a male patron sitting at the table behind us. As far as I could tell, he was fine, but the waitress was a bit embarrassed as nearly the whole restaurant burst into laughter.

Forbes has named Boulder, Co as the smartest city in the U.S. for the second year in a row. Longmont was not named number one for obvious reasons. Here's an example: our newspaper, the Daily Times-Call has a forum called the T-C Line where readers can call in and anonymously give their opinions about topics. Sometimes there are really smart comments but most of the time the callers are not so smart. My favorite recent entry from Saturday 2/16: "I was wondering where Obama was born, because if he wasn't born in the United States, he's not eligible to be president". The editor added a note about the requirements for eligibility to be president and stated that Obama was born in Hawaii. I really hope this caller is an eight year old who is learning about the U.S. government in school, otherwise, I'm really sad for this adult who either doesn't realize that Obama probably looked into the requirements before spending a boatload of time and money on his campaign, or else the caller doesn't know that Hawaii is in fact in the U.S.

On Valentine's Day 2004 I was a Freshman in college and I had an odd conversation with a friend in the dorms. She and I were talking about guys and our relationship histories. To make a long story short, she came up with a theory to explain my lack of dating. She called it the _____ Curse which stems back to my Elementary School days when I had a boyfriend who's name I leave blank in order to save what dignity he has left. To this day I still have no idea why I did it, but during recess one day I kicked him in the genitals and left him doubled over and crying on the playground. Even though he forgave me for the incident I still feel really guilty and wish it never happened. So, fast forward to the conversation in the dorms. My friend (who is very into astrology and tinkers with witchcraft) believes that the lack of dating in my life is a direct result of that incident on the playground and the universe has sent out a message to all guys warning them about me. Thus they avoid me in order to be spared similar pain. I laughed at her when she came up with the idea, but who knows, perhaps there is some truth to it.

In high school I used to pretty much only listen to Christian music. I definitely don't have the same philosophy today as my iPod has songs like "Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry and "When I Get You Alone" by Thicke. Both are really awful songs that I shouldn't even like, but I listen to them anyway.

3 comments:

Erin said...

hahaha....you like to make yellow snow!!!

Linda said...

I love the junk drawer!!

Some suggestions:
Become a "burt's bees" shareholder!
Maybe you could send blank curse guy an apology note??
Wear protective eyewear at family style resturants.

dosol said...

great post becca!
(now stop chasing the cat around the house)