Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The eyeliner is thicker and everyone has iPods

Last weekend I got the chance to take part in yet another retreat that my church's youth group attended. I've lost count of how many of them I've gone to in my lifetime- a couple in middle school, even more in high school and two this year as a leader/work crew member. The format of these retreats varies a bit each time, but in general each retreat is the same. Friday night opens the weekend with the goofy skits, an awesome (and sometimes not so awesome) band playing a mix of their own songs and worship songs, and then the speaker gets up there to tell some stories, throw some Bible verses in there and attempt to speak to the hearts of the students in attendance. Then there are the delectable Young Life meals and free time on Saturday afternoon followed by a really serious session when the speaker invites anyone who wants to accept Jesus in their hearts to raise their hands to be prayed over. There are always tears during this part. Right after that is Family Time when a deep discussion can be had, and then more free time late into the night. Sunday morning brings another session when the speaker tells the kids how to re-enter the world with their new identity in Christ and then more delicious food at brunch when the famous Chicken Enchilada Casserole gets devoured. Clean the rooms and attempt to fold the blankets properly and then it is time to drive back down the mountains.

I'm glad that hundreds of students get to experience these retreats each year and I'm hopeful that they are greatly impacted by them. To be quite honest, these retreats just aren't my cup of tea. Young Life is an amazing organization and I fully respect their mission, but it just isn't my style. It's too comfortable. I've always been much better at practice and application than I am at theory, especially when it comes to love. This is why the mission trips we called Doulos always affected me more than the weekend retreats to the mountains. It was easy for me to see Jesus in the smiles of the street kids we played with and the mouths of the homeless we fed and in the various construction and cleaning projects we took part in on those mission trips. It was hard for me to see Jesus in the inflatable games we bounced around in and at the tables where the yummy food was always in supply at the retreats.

I wish I would have listened more closely when I was a participant in these retreats several years ago. I can honestly say that I only remember bits and pieces of one retreat speaker's message when I was in high school. If I had paid attention and let the messages penetrate my heart, I could have saved myself a lot of heartache while I was in college when I was bitter and angry. I wish I could go back to my high school self and tell her how stupid she is. I'd like to tell her that she worries about silly things way too much and that she needs to love and respect herself a whole lot more. If she would stop envying every other person in her life, maybe she'd find out that she isn't a hideous beast.

Fortunately I've learned a bit since then. Plus I have an amazing opportunity to invest in the lives of our church's high school kids and hopefully convey some of the messages that I needed to hear when I was in their shoes.