Saturday, July 16, 2011

Commissioned

Last Sunday I stood before my congregation in Austin and spoke to them about my upcoming trip to Colombia. I shared with them what the program is about and why it exists. I told them about how I felt compelled to join this peacemaking work and finally have the opportunity to do it. I told them it wouldn't be possible without their love and support and prayers.

And then Pastor Lee asked me the questions. "Will you serve Christ...Will you act with humility and faith...Will you continue to obey God's call..."

And then the congregation stretched out their hands as the commissioning prayer was said.

And I was filled with love.

As this trip approaches, my nerves are starting to kick in and my doubts are rising to the surface. But to calm those anxieties, I think back to this moment when the Church held me in its arms and promised to be with me in this journey. I am grateful.

No comments: