Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sermon Tears

A professor preached at chapel today. It was one of the most stirring sermons I've ever heard. His words continue to resonate in my heart this afternoon, but I'm sure that will soon fade. In a few weeks I'll forget the words that he said. I may even forget what the theme of his sermon was. But I won't forget his tears. He was making a connection between the scripture (Mark 8:31-38) and his father's battle with cancer. The emotion of this situation caused him to cry, which caused many of the hearers to cry as well. I was struck by the intimacy of this moment. How he let us in on a very personal situation. All the while, drawing the Gospel in as well. The preacher's tears weren't cheap or used for dramatic affect. I know his tears were genuine.

This is something I hope to accomplish someday.

I hope to preach a sermon that conveys deep, rich emotion. To have words that will move the hearers and emotion that will stir them. I am still very much an amateur preacher and I still struggle with the disconnect between myself and my words. I usually pick illustrations that aren't emotional, that don't really make me that vulnerable. I have no doubt I'll grow and learn much in the coming years as a preacher. I'm grateful for good preachers in my life.

1 comment:

Jane said...

and I look forward to hearing you preach one day! You have a lot to say.