Sunday, January 11, 2009

Integrity

Confession time: I'm a closet football fan. I know, shocking. I should clarify that statement to avoid confusion. I've become a big fan of the Broncos, but couldn't tell you much about any other team (I just found out that Carolina has a team, but have yet to figure out if they're North or South). My interest in football began while living in Mississippi where Saints fever was epidemic. Amidst the chaos of hurricane devastation, people were able to smile and cheer and invest hope in something bigger than themselves. Football. I had never seen that side of the sport before, and it really gave me a new outlook. I still struggle with the ridiculousness of the sport: outrageous salaries, confusing rules, outrageous ticket prices, testosterone overload on the field, scantily clad cheerleaders. But the sport is growing on me.

I've taken particular interest in the team since the shocking firing of Mike Shanahan, head coach for the past 14 years- 21 years total with the team. Hard to imagine this team without him. I might go as far as saying that Mike Shanahan is the Broncos. He had some fine moments with the team throughout the years, including back to back Super Bowl victories. But I think Shanahan's finest moment with the organization was the press conference he held shortly after being fired. Here are a few snippets in case you missed it:

"...Pat Bowlen. That is tough because he is a great friend and he will always be my great friend. He is the best owner throughout sports, and I appreciate every opportunity he gave me to be successful. I can go on and on but you have to make tough decisions being the owner of this organization. Pat made a tough decision and you have to do that in an organization. I just want to thank him for giving me the opportunity to do the things I have been able to do."

On if he deserved to be fired

“The thing about deserving is it really doesn’t matter about deserve. I feel good about the job I have done. The thing is, you have to make some tough decisions when you run an organization. You have to do things that are in the best interest of the organization, and I felt that that was right and I understand the direction he went."

"...at least I feel like I’m leaving on a high note—a note with character, a note with a team that’s going to be on the rise. So from that standpoint I feel good."

What an astounding display of integrity. I have no doubt that he is upset by the circumstance, and yet he gets in front of the cameras and handles the situation with class. He doesn't point fingers. He doesn't make excuses. He doesn't bash his friend who pulled a "Donald Trump" on him. Instead he understood that he wasn't the best person for the job and truly did leave on a high note. Shanahan has provided an incredible example, and I can only hope that I would act in a similar manner if put in the same situation.

No comments: