Saturday, January 31, 2009

My run-in with the law

I have great plans for some awesome posts, but I haven't had the motivation/inspiration to write them. I promise I'll get to them later.

For now I want to share a funny story with you.

I've been sick for the past few days- it stared out as a nasty cough and turned into the flu with a high fever. I should have seen this coming when I signed up to work with germy kids every day, but I thought I was immune to everything after working for the library for 6 years.

Anyway.

I've been house sitting for my uncle every weekend which is fun, but I prefer to be sick in my own bed. I slept at his house last night and decided to drive home this morning. So, I was driving down 287 from Lafayette to Longmont, getting very excited to crawl into my own bed. Then I saw lights flashing behind me.

Lets just say there was a lot of swearing on my part as I pulled over to the shoulder. Here is a little taste of the dialogue going on in my head: "Oh F#&$ F*&# F@$&! Please don't arrest me! I don't remember doing anything wrong. Was I speeding? Did I run a red light? I know Nyquil shows up on the breathalyzer. But I took my last dose at 3am, so shouldn't it be out of my system? I'm going to jail. I can't go to jail! I'm wearing my AmeriCorps sweatshirt! And no bra! And hideously ill-fitting red sweatpants. F$@* F!#@ F*#&."

The ironic part of this, is that I've been anticipating getting my first ticket for a while now, so I should have been mildly excited. There is a lot of pressure on your shoulders when you have a perfect driving record and I have been wanting to get a ticket just to get it over with.

It turns out I got pulled over for not having a license plate on the front of my car. I'd been meaning to get to it, I just kept forgetting. He let me off with a warning and told me to have a nice day.

So now I am still ticket free and did not go to jail. I hope that someday I'll be able to check those two items off of my list of things to do.

1 comment:

Erin said...

If getting arrested wearing Outtumwa sweatpants is wrong, I don't want to be right!