Thursday, January 6, 2011

Books

Like I said in my last post, I'm not making any New Years resolutions. But I am setting a few goals and lifestyle changes.

When it comes to being more intentional about time, I'm planning to fill some of that time with reading for pleasure. This might be a ridiculous goal, given the ridiculous amount of reading we're assigned in seminary, but I think this will be necessary. When I went home to Longmont for Christmas, I basically spent the first four days reading. I surfaced for air and food every once in a while, but I got hooked into some books and couldn't help myself. I'm glad my family didn't disown me for neglecting them. But as I read, I realized how much I missed it. When I was working at the library I would have at least two books going at once, usually finishing both in a week. It helps when you're surrounded by books and have loads of motivation to read.

So now I'm reading again. For fun that is. I just read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I laughed and cried a lot through this book. I was a bit disappointed in the end, which is odd because it was a happy ending. I felt like it was a bit too optimistic, too removed from the reality that most people living in poverty face. But then, I guess it is good to have inspirational stories that provide hope. Hope is a good thing.

So now I'm choosing to read a book that is only rated 2.9 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. I kind of like to switch off: read a really great novel and then a piece of crap novel. I like to switch things up. Keeps it interesting.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Becca! I recently read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and loved it. I can see what you're saying about the end too. I love your new year's resolution. I did that one year, and I think it even helped me write better for classes. Needless to say, I decided to keep up that practice. It's a good'un! :) Miss you and LOVE reading your posts!
Peace, Kristin