Saturday, January 8, 2011

Is it right to bear arms?

We're in the school cafeteria, celebrating a friend's 13th birthday when the reports came in: there was a shooting at a high school in Littleton. No details just yet, but it's bad. We're safe here in Longmont and will finish out the school day. A shooting in Colorado? That's the kind of thing you hear about happening in foreign countries, not in our own backyard. Is anywhere safe?

It's a sunny Tuesday morning in Austin. The emergency sirens start blaring at UT. Is it the tornado warning test? Nope, there's some muffled announcement about a shooting. Wait, what? I turn on the news and see a chaotic scene at UT as the reporter tries to explain what is happening. A shooting at the Perry Casteneda Library. Which one is that? I go online to look at the University map to find out that it is on the opposite side of campus. A quick glance at my email tells me UT is on lockdown and so is our Seminary. Keep checking back for updates. Should I stay or go? I don't want to be alone, but they told us not to leave whatever building we're in. I guess it's good I'm still in my apartment with access to TV and internet. Updates keep coming in. Noon comes around and we're given the all-clear. The shooter has killed himself, leaving all others unharmed.

A quick check of Facebook before I go meet a friend for coffee. "Prayers for Tucson" is the common status of friends. Tucson? What happened? A link to the NY Times reports a shooting at a grocery store, many injured including Democratic congresswoman Giffords. Some report that she's dead, others say she will recover. The scene sounds frantic. I'm not familiar with her, but I'm assuming she's one of the "good ones," working for immigration reform. She must have integrity if she earned the respect of her district and got elected in that troubled state of Arizona. I'm guessing that has something to do with the shooting. A brief perusal of the web tells me she is an advocate for health care and was one of Sarah Palin's targets to bring down. What a painfully tragic situation.

I don't personally know anyone who has been killed by a gun. But each time I hear of gun violence, my whole self is rocked to the core. My heart sinks for those killed by guns as well as thier loved ones. And my personal safety feels shattered. On average, 32 people are killed by guns each day in America. That is a ridiculously high number. Yes, it is our constitutional right to bear arms, but that right has been abused.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Bec,
Thank you for this reminder. Here in Chicago at Lake View Pres, at worship each week we pray and light a candle for every youth who has been killed by gun violence in the city since the school year started. We've got more than 20 candles lit now. It's horrible. And we need to keep these victims, the Tuscon victims, and all victims of gun voilence on our minds and in our hearts all the time, not just when it makes big news.