Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Budget Home Center

The summer between my Sophomore and Junior years of college, I worked at The Budget Home Center as a cashier. Budget is yet another excellent local business which has survived despite Home Depot and Lowe's moving into town. I highly recommend shopping there if you have the need for home improvement supplies.

Honestly, I don't remember anything exciting about working there because the stint was so brief and I was more focused on preparing for my final year in college. I do remember watering a lot of hopeless plants out in the garden center. Budget was trying a new thing by selling plants and garden supplies, but unfortunately they didn't really know how to keep the plants alive long enough to sell them. So I spent many hours out there watering in order to find reprieve from the monotony of standing at the cash register. I also assembled a bunch of wheelbarrows and BBQ grills. Other than that, I did lots of cashiering and learning about tools and building materials. Little did I know that this would be a very useful preparation for my time in Mississippi and the countless trips to Lowe's that I made.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

How about that! That's pretty neat that geared you up for MS. Oh life, sometimes it is so accommodating. :) I'm enjoying these, good series.