Friday, January 4, 2008

The great job hunt

I just spent about five hours today searching for jobs online and posting my resume. I'm now going on week seven of being unemployed and I'm getting ridiculously bored. The longest I've gone without a job prior to this time span (since I was 16) was two weeks so I'm not really sure what to do with all my time. I've applied for my substitute teaching license but still have heard back so I'm stuck at the library where I can only get 12 hours a week. I could probably apply anywhere to get a job, but I really want something that I'll enjoy and that will give me experience in the field I'm heading towards.

One of the most depressing conversations I've ever had occurred a few months ago when a volunteer group invited me to join them for dinner at a restaurant. I was talking to one of the volunteers about what he does for a living his plans for retirement and such. After a few minutes of conversing, he paused and then told me that the only job he has ever enjoyed in his whole life was when he was a lifeguard during the summer between high school and college. He went on to tell me how he passionately hated the job he chose as a career and wishes he could go back and do things differently. While he was telling me this there was such sadness in his eyes and I could barely maintain eye contact. I really hope I don't end up like that.

This morning as I chatted with a friend at church, she asked me if I'd like to work in any of the fields that I've worked in previously. Here was my response: "Hahahahaha! Hahaha. Ha. No."

So for the next few posts I'd like to open up my resume and discuss my amazing employment history. I'm excited to reminisce about the good times and the bad, the laughter and even a few tears.

No comments: