Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The path ahead

The next job on my resume is a big fat question mark. I've put my resume out there and submitted a few applications, but I'm holding out for something I'm passionate about (and ideally something that I can just take random days off whenever the ski slopes get powder). As you can guess from my previous postings, I'm not looking for something similar to the jobs I've had. Even though I loved working with PDA in Mississippi, the hospitality industry is not where I see myself ending up. As for the others, well pizza making and cashiering and such aren't really what my heart is set on.

And then there's grad school. I've flirted with the idea of returning to school and furthering my education. The University of Denver offers an amazing program in International Studies and even has a program with an emphasis on Human Rights. How amazing would it be to study that? They also have a social work program so it would be possible to obtain a dual degree in both fields. But the more I think about it the less I want to return to school. I'm a huge supporter of education and I believe that knowledge is power. With a bachelor's degree I'm wealthier than most in the world thanks to the privilege I was born with. I'm just beginning to think that I don't need to go back to school in order to find what I want in life. Sure, a master's degree (or two) would open a lot of doors, but as I found out in Mississippi, I do much better when leaning in the field than studying theory in the classroom. Plus the idea of paying thousands of dollars for the piece of paper saying I accomplished something doesn't sound too appealing right now. I'm not completely shutting out the idea and I'm still somewhat considering going to seminary.

For now I'll wait for the call saying I've got an interview which will hopefully lead to my dream job. Maybe I shouldn't be so picky since I'm still living with my parents and have no hope of moving out anytime soon! In the mean time, I'll keep enjoying this life of leisure I've got and try to teach muh dawg some new tricks (I hear there's a dog named Eddie who has got her beat in that category).

1 comment:

Erin said...

Eddie says there's no need for Chloe to worry. Plenty of tricks to go around. Eddie also wants Chloe to know that he just mastered the trick of eating absolutely everything in an PDA trailer without getting sick. Woof, woof.