Monday, August 22, 2011

30 Years

I'm going to take a break from the Colombia topics to write about this day in history. If you look up significant events that have happened on August 22nd, you'll find some interesting gems.

In 1848 the U.S. annexed New Mexico.

In 1864, the Red Cross was formed (Holla, Erin!).

In 1902, Teddy Roosevelt became the first U.S. President to ride in an automobile.

In 1968, Pope Paul VI arrived in Bogotá, Colombia. It was the first time a pope had visited Latin America (sorry, had to give a shoutout to Colombia).

In 1981, Micheal Weaver and Donna Kenady said their vows of marriage.


Did you not find that last one in your Google search? Well, I think it should have shown up. It was a pretty big event, you know.

Happy 30th anniversary to my parents! I wish I could be there to celebrate them in person, but a shout out from 3000 miles away will have to suffice. Cheers and blessings to you both!

No comments: