Monday, August 1, 2011

Prayers for Colombia

I'm sitting in the Houston airport, waiting for my flight to Miami. I just received an email from a friend asking what she can pray for regarding this trip - I thought I'd post my request in hopes of building a community of folks praying not only for my trip specifically, but also for Colombia. The Presbyterian Peace Fellowship (the organization I'm participating with) has a weekly prayer suggestion for us to unite in prayer on Thursday nights at 8pm Colombian time (same as U.S. Central time). I thought I'd post the devotional for the first Thursday of the month if you want to incorporate it into your devotional time this week. Here are the details:


Pray weekly with and for Colombia

Join our sisters and brothers in Colombia in weekly prayers for peace.
Religious People, Priests, and Spiritual Leaders Committed to a Humanitarian Accord and Negotiated End to the Conflict in Colombia

We invite all Christians and citizens of faith to hold times of prayer, symbolic religious observances, and/or vigils for humanitarian exchange, truth and justice as a way out of Colombia's civil war.

INVITATION

Take a moment for prayer every Thursday at 8:00pm (9:00pm Eastern time,
U.S.A.)

FIRST THURSDAY OF THE MONTH

Let us pray:

That Colombia's President Alvaro Uribe would facilitate and guarantee conditions for the liberation of Captain Pablo Emilio Moncayo, Private Josué Daniel Calvo Sánchez, and the remains of Major Julián Ernesto Guevara, a unilateral commitment made by the FARC guerrillas.
That the government and the FARC guerrillas would be willing to diligently undertake a humanitarian exchange that would make possible the freedom of 22 members of the armed forces and the political prisoners, as has been done in the past.

Biblical illumination: Ecclesiastes 8:8-9

"No one has power over the wind to restrain the wind, or power over the day of death; weapons are no use in such a war, nor does wickedness deliver those who practice it. All this I observed, applying my mind to all that is done under the sun, while one person exercises authority over another to the other's hurt."



I realize that these prayer requests might seem a bit odd, but hopefully I'll be able to illuminate you readers on Uribe and FARC and ELN and other buzz words that are important in Colombia.

Paz!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Becca, I couldn't be more thrilled for you and the journey you are embarking on. I will be holding you and the people of Columbia in my prayers.

Through all the ups and downs that will come, may peace be with you!

David Barker said...

Becca...praise God that you've answered the call to this ministry in Columbia and thank you for your blog so we can keep abreast of what happens. All of us at Central PC in Longmont are you lifting you up in prayer. Godspeed.