Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Church as a Refuge

Here's an interesting article about religion trends in the U.S.

Education and Religion

I'm especially intrigued by the last paragraph:

"Religious congregations may be one of the few institutional sectors less educated Americans can turn to for social, economic, and emotional support in the face of today’s tough times, yet it appears that increasingly few of them are choosing to do so."

While we in the U.S. turn away from the church when the going gets tough, many people here in Colombia seek refuge in the church, knowing that it is the only safe and secure resource for them to turn to. It reminds me of the situation in Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina. At least in Pearlington, it seems that those who were connected to a church fared better than those who weren't part of a church. I have no scientific basis for this, but I would like to think it's true!

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Confession: I didn't read the article, yet. But, your experience is definitely in sync with my experience of impoverished people and their relationship with the Church in Tijuana, Mexico.


P.S. - Come home soon!