Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dream a little DREAM

www.charge.org is a fascinating site to cruise around and see what is important to the citizens of our nation and what action they want Obama's administration to take action on. I think it's amusing that passing marijuana currently has the most votes. The second most popular idea is to appoint a Secretary of Peace. I like the sound of that. But the idea that is currently in 3rd place and the one that I'm most drawn to (and voted for) is the movement to pass the DREAM act. Check it out here: DREAM.

Several of the kids we work with at I Have a Dream (who we call Dreamers- part of the reason I love the name of this act) are undocumented. I won't give the percent for fear of getting them in trouble, but just know it is significant. I feel so bad for these kids because they have very few options once they leave our program and graduate from high school. A lot of them begin to realize their destiny as Freshman and Sophomores and give up trying to succeed because they don't see the point. The saddest part is that these kids are amazing! They are so bright and have so much potential, but are facing a dead end with their education just because our government is so narrow minded. I sincerely hope that the DREAM act passes the next time around so that these kids can prove to the rest of us what they are capable of.

No comments: