Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Scared silly

Last night was a rough one. I'm house sitting for my uncle who lives in the middle of nowhere in a gigantic house which is scary enough. I've made it through 4 nights safe and sound, but I wasn't sure I'd make it last night.

My first mistake was watching Untraceable. I didn't know much about it, but the concept seemed interesting and I love movies with Diane Lane. I really wish someone would have told me that it is another Saw movie, just incorrectly titled. It could have been a semi-good film if it weren't so graphic. Plus it was agonizing to watch my boyfriend, Colin Hanks, die in a tank of sulfuric acid.

My second mistake was leaving the dog in the garage where he is supposed to sleep. It would have been much smarter to keep the 140 lb beast in the bedroom with me to scare away creepers.

Then, it was windy. I'm not talking about a little breeze that made an eerie sound in the trees. I'm talking WINDY. There were 91 mph gusts recorded on the front range and I'm pretty sure the gusts were even stronger along Isabelle Rd. At about 1 am, there was a huge crashing sound outside and I nearly wet my pants. It sounded like someone was breaking in, but I wasn't foolish enough to go check it out because that's how people get killed. Haven't you seen horror movies? I got the nerve to jump up and lock the bedroom door, but quickly jumped back into bed and pulled the covers over my head, Home Alone style. I think I finally drifted off at about 4 am, but was frequently woken up by scary noises.

All was well this morning as the sun was out and the wind died down. I went out to survey the damage (with the dog by my side just in case there were creepers still around) and discovered the source of the loud crash. The bbq grill as well as the outdoor fireplace had both blown over plus all the patio chairs were scattered. I'm still not convinced that it was the wind.

No comments: