Sunday, December 7, 2008

Too bad Mel Gibson couldn't get Jack Black to play Jesus in his movie

My friend Jessie sent me this gem of a video:

See more Jack Black videos at Funny or Die


I have tried to avoid turning this blog into a soapbox, but I think this topic falls under the "nuts, sluts and pervs" that I promised to talk about when I started this thing. So, I'll go ahead and discuss. I'm not trying to change your viewpoint or convince you that I'm completely right about the matter. I have no idea if I'm right or wrong in my beliefs, but the following is a compilation of my thoughts thus far in life.

The whole controversy surrounding homosexuality in our nation is very dear to my heart. Part of that is due to the fact that I have a few close friends and family members who are homosexual and it hurts my heart that I have certain rights that they don't. Through my interactions with them, I have come to the conclusion that being homosexual is not a choice, it is genetic (Read the book As Nature Made Him for some pretty convincing evidence on that). Plus I find it very hard to believe that someone would willingly choose such a stigmatized lifestyle.

I'm a bit baffled by the fact that the church is so ardently opposed to ordaining gays and supporting their lifestyles. Let's say, hypothetically of course, that being homosexual is a sin. How is that any different than the fact that I am a sinner? I'm no where near perfect and yet the church is willing to ordain me for ministry. I don't understand why we've decided there is a hierarchy for sin and that homosexuality is unacceptable whereas lying and envying is just a minor offense. If we're going to reference/live by a few passages in the Old Testament and a few passages from the New Testament then I think we need to go back to owning slaves and practicing polygamy, both of which were common practice in the old days and accepted by "God's people".

I know that in the past there have been folks who thought that I was a lesbian. There is a certain church in rural Louisiana that probably thinks I'm in a relationship with a certain redhead. I'm sure there are people today who think I'm a lesbian. All the ingredients are there: I drive a Subaru, I've been single for a while, I'm a feminist. I'm not offended when people think this. In a way I'm sort of flattered because some of the most amazing people I know are gay.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the aftermath of the proposition 8 fiasco. Perhaps the Mormon church will dwindle. Perhaps other mainline churches *cough PC(USA) cough* will finally realize that homosexuality should not be stigmatized anymore. Perhaps I'll be able to see homosexual partners legally wed within my lifetime. I'm filled with hope.

No comments: