Friday, June 10, 2011

Hell's Angel

I cut this guy off in the parking lot. I didn't mean to, honest. It was one of those moments where my brain just wasn't working. After all, every other time I've pulled into that parking lot it has been deserted. But today he was there, hoping to pull in to the spot I nabbed. I felt like an idiot and I was ready for him to come over and yell at me. I made it inside the store before he got out of his car and I hoped to make a quick getaway, avoiding him and his anger. I got in line at the cash register and wouldn't you know it, he got in line right behind me. My heart started to race as I braced myself for the lecture that was to come. But he didn't lecture me. I was taken aback when he inquired about my ink, a stained glass tattoo on my left wrist inspired by a window in my church's sanctuary. He told me it was lovely and then asked me about my church.

We chatted about my church and about tattoos. He said he went to a shop in town for his latest ink. I asked him what he got and he hesitated, finally admitting that he's in the Hell's Angels gang. Perhaps he expected me to start witnessing to him, encouraging him to repent and turn to Jesus. I didn't do that. Instead I told him I've heard a lot of things about Hell's Angels and I've always thought they were judged too harshly in our society. His face lit up and he said his wife used to go church and she always kept him in line. He said he's only been to church a few times and when he did go, the people in the pews ignored him and only interacted with their friends. I winced at this statement. So painful and so true. The church, which is supposed to be welcoming to all, is often guilty of making people feel unwelcome. I told him he'd be welcome at my church anytime and that he could sit next to me if he liked. I told him his wife would be welcome too, but he then told me that she died five years ago. He said they had been married 40 years and she was the love of his life.

I imagine this man lives a lonely life now that his wife is gone. I also imagine he's received a lot of judgement from those who follow Christ. I don't know if I'll see this man on Sunday morning. I hope I do. I'd like to be friends and I'd like to know what his name is.