Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Most Boring Job Ever

This summer I chose to take some time off from classes in order to regroup and relax. I may have shot myself in the foot for that because now I can't graduate on time, but whatevs. Unlike undergrad when I raced through to save money, I'm looking at seminary as a blessing which needn't be rushed. I also realize I need to stop and rest before reaching burnout. So, I'm currently enjoying some time in Colorado, playing in the mountains and hanging out with my folks. Oh, and I picked up a part time job because Weavers are apparently incapable of relaxing completely.

I've had some weird jobs in my life, but my current place of employment has got to top them all. From 5:30-10:30pm, Monday through Friday, I sit at a computer and grade standardized tests. Jealous yet? Let me give you a taste of what this job entails and maybe you'll grow green with envy. Probably not, but let's find out.

At 5:20, I pull into the parking lot and look for the perfect spot which will enable an easy getaway at the end of the night. When 300 people leave a building at the same time, things can get sticky so it's important to be strategic. Then, I slip that green badge over my neck and head inside. I enter the room with 300 IBM ThinkCentres at 25 stations, a sight that is a bit overwhelming. I greet the coworkers at my station, 12 other enthused test graders. I know a few of their names and some minor details about them. That's about all. Pretty sure this is the most impersonal job I've experienced. I didn't even know who my supervisor was until the end of the first shift.

I log onto the computer and take a qualifier test - we must properly grade 3 out of 5 tests in order to stay. If we don't pass that test we go home and can come back the next night. Then the grading begins. We're currently working on 5th grade math, grading one problem at a time. We've been at it for three nights so far and haven't yet finished the 72,000 tests. Daunting, no? The test provides a graph and the students had to answer three questions about Jessica and her water tank. They are scored on a 4 point scale, as laid out in a grading rubric. The tests have all been scanned into the computer, so all we have to do is read them, determine the grade and click "score." Over and over and over.

Occasionally we'll get an exam with a bit of humor. Last night I graded one that had a short story about how Jessica could never drink all 300 gallons of water in one day. Then I got one about how many fish could fit into the tank. My coworkers and I usually share these with each other because we've found that laughing about them helps the time pass. I've noticed other stations aren't as chatty and we've been shushed a few times. We don't care, we're the fun table.

I can't guarantee I'll have any funny stories to share about this job, since it is the most boring job I've ever had. But if one comes up, I'll be sure to post it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Somehow you manage to win all the best jobs!