Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Little Disciples

The church where I attend and currently serve as intern has a weekly dinner on Wednesday nights. We call it a potluck, but not many bring food to share because the church provides plenty for all. And it's free.

This might be one of my favorite things about this church. Besides the Passing of the Peace which usually takes 10 minutes in the service, I love these Wednesday night dinners. I love to fellowship with these wonderful Children of God and learn their stories.

I was particularly struck tonight as we gathered to eat. I sat down and was chatting with one of the kids before dinner was ready. Once everyone hopped up to get their food, this young child offered to get my plate for me. She told me to come with so I could pick out the food. She has a broken arm in a cast, which made it a bit hard for her to hold the plate, so I helped her with that. But she insisted on putting the food on the plate.

I was amazed by her servant's heart and her desire to serve another person. I had to laugh though, when she yelled her mom to fix a plate for her. Guess she wasn't interested in serving herself!

I love these little glimpses of disciples really getting what it means to live in community and serve one another.

No comments: