Monday, December 10, 2007

Sorrow

In a season which is supposed to be filled with joy and celebration, I find myself grieving for many reasons. First and foremost is the death of my former boss, Rich Cozzone who died in a car accident last week. Rich served as a village manager and work site manager off and on before stepping up to the position of Gulf Coast Coordinator for all of the villages that PDA operates. He was a kind and joyful man who had a passion for service. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and three kids and his extended PDA family still serving on the Gulf Coast.

I also grieve over my separation from PDA and all the friends I made during my time on the Gulf Coast. I knew that it would be a difficult transition even though it was necessary. I just miss my friends. I miss the villages which were my home and workplace. I miss the discomfort that I lived in day after day. I'm not really sure how to handle this life of comfort that I was thrust into. I live in a house with insulation and comfy bed versus the drafty trailer with a stiff mattress. My town hasn't been broken by a natural disaster and all of my neighbors seem to be doing fine on their own without assistance. It's weird.

I also grieve over the recent shootings at two Colorado religious institutions this weekend. This is a pretty interesting report on the situation. First, let me say that I'm saddened by the fact that 6 people lost their lives during this. But what struck me the most about this event is the fact that New Life Church has an armed security guard. According to the latest report I read, her normal routine is to attend the first service as a worshiper and then attends the second service as the pastor's bodyguard. It seems odd to me that a place that is supposed to be preaching the Gospel which is full of love and grace and mercy, feels the need to protect themselves with weapons.

2 comments:

Bryce Perica said...

That is interesting. She sounds more like a permanent feature around the church, but early reports were saying that she was added to the church staff that day after the first shooting in Arvada. Weird. Sad.

Aaron said...

I'm really sorry that your boss died. And I'm really thinking that I'm about to face a damn hard transition. And I really said that exact same thing about the New Life guard last night to a friend.
Yep.