Sunday, August 24, 2008

Here we go again

I used to be a girl with a plan. I was definitely a five-year plan person up until I went to Mississippi, and then something happened and I got off that track. Now I look ahead by a year and have hopes and dreams for where I'll be, but try not to be too disappointed if I don't end up there.

One year ago, I never would have imagined I'd be starting up another year long volunteer gig. My hope was to get a job or be back in school, certainly not living at home with the folks still. But here I am, about to begin my year with Americorps. Tonight I'm going to a bbq with a few of the other volunteers for a meet and greet before our orientation next week. I hope they're fun people. I'm trying really hard to not set up expectations before I go, but keep hoping there will be a red head from the East Coast, a skinny kid from Chicago, a quiet yet hilarious girl from Oregon, a sweet and compassionate girl from Northern Cali...and so many others. But they won't be there. I'm going to meet 10 new people who seem to share a common vision as I do for the world. I'm optimistic about the program. The organization, I Have a Dream Foundation, is amazing and the whole reason I decided to join up with this venture. I'm just nervous about doing a "program" again. So far things are good, because they already emailed us the entire calendar of what we'll be doing and where we'll be until December. Now that's a refreshing change. But if we're put in a room for an entire day to write a covenant together, I'm going to walk out and quit.

2 comments:

Bryce Perica said...

Where are you going to be with Americorps?

Erin said...

And now you have me crying again...crying in an internet cafe in India. I swear, Bec....


Best wishes to you in this awesome new adventure!