Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Have a Dream

45 years ago today, MLK Jr delivered his "I have a dream" speech before the thousands of marchers on the mall in Washington D.C. It was a big deal back then, and is still a big deal today. I can't think of any other speech that has stirred my heart in the quite the way that this speech does.

Today, there is an organization called the I Have a Dream Foundation which has sites all over the states, as wells as New Zealand. I had heard about this organization a few years ago and I remember being inspired by what they do. You can read about their history on their website. I love that they take a group of third graders and promise them college money if they graduate high school. I love that they stick with these kids all the way through their first year of college and ensure that they receive the support and encouragement they might not otherwise receive. I love that there are so many success stories from this program and that some alumni come back and do some pretty terrific things.

I've been wanting to get involved with this organization any way I could, and at this point in life it comes in the form of AmeriCorps service. I'll be joining 13 other young adults in an eleven month adventure. My official role is as volunteer coordinator, which means I get to recruit and train tutors who will go into our 5 sites across Boulder County and work with the students.

When I tell people that I'm joining AmeriCorps, their first question is always "Where will you be stationed?". When I tell them Boulder County, they always look disappointed and sometimes a bit dumbfounded. Disappointed because it would be much more excited to say that I'm going to some exotic corner of our country to serve (perhaps they're confusing it with the PeaceCorps?). Dumbfounded because they don't see the need in Boulder County. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

My dream for this coming year is that I can be a small piece of the solution for eradicating poverty, boosting education and giving an opportunity to these Dreamers who don't enjoy the same privileges that I've had my whole life.

No comments: