Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Awkward flirtation

Driving down 9th Ave on the way to the Y as Keith Urban comes on KYGO. Must turn the volume up. Little bit more, just a bit more. There we go. With the windows down there is no way the cars and pedestrians on the street can ignore his dreamy voice belting out those clever lyrics.

All is well in the world until I hit a red light. Not to worry, I'd hate to arrive at my destination before this song is over. I pull up to the line next to a Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible. Nice car. I wonder if he wants to race. I'm pretty sure my Subie wagon would kick his ass.

The Eclipse pulls up even with my car. Maybe he does want to race. Oh jeez. Ok, I'll just look over real quick to assess the situation. Who knows, maybe I know him and he's just saying "hi". Alright, just a quick, stealth glance. Nope I don't know him.

Mr. Eclipse is kinda cute. He is definitely smiling at me and, wait, did he just do "the nod"? He totally did. I wish I didn't blush so easily. I look away and try to avoid looking at him again. Ok. I can't help it. I look over again and he's got his elbow propped on the door. No wedding band. Doesn't necessarily mean anything. I know a lot of married guys who don't always wear their ring.

Ok, try to ignore him. Looky there, my car has 213,086 miles on it. I wonder how many more she'll go. I can see him in my peripheral vision. He's still looking over. How long is this light? I wonder if the treadmills will be crowded tonight. He's still looking over. I'm so not good at flirting.

Finally the light turns green and I take off, leaving him at the line. I knew Subie could kick his ass.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I have to know....did he have a mullet?

Linda said...

i love this story! i love the new private blog! keep it coming!