Friday, June 27, 2008

Creepy

I guess I should explain more fully why this blog has become limited access. Besides the fact that a lot of people were reading who I didn't really think should be reading it, there was also a potential stalker issue which I'm trying to avoid.

It all started back in March as I was working at the library's information desk. We had just received new name badges which include our first and last names on them. Several staff members were uncomfortable with their full names being in plain view, but I didn't really think much of it. Then one day a slightly strange man came up to the desk to ask about our computers with internet use so I told him about our policies and directed him to the computer lab. He thanked me and went on his merry way. About an hour later he was evidently done with the computer and stopped by my desk again. I don't remember what he said exactly but it was something to this effect: "Becca in the Bayou eh? Must have been real hot in Mississippi. I'll see you around, bayou girl".

I can only assume that he Googled my name and stumbled upon my blogs because I had never seen him before. I would have been slightly less creeped out if he were a 20 something guy with a nice smile, but this guy was definitely older than my dad and had a funky smell to him. The incident was harmless enough that no serious action needed to be taken, however, our "security guard" suggested that I either take the blog off line or make it private in order to prevent him from going any further with his stalking.

Since then I've switched back to our old name badge with just my first name on it and have only seen the creep-o a few times at the library. Thankfully he has left me alone.

No comments: