Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Netflix reviews

I've been keeping the good folks at Netflix busy this summer with all my movie viewing. Here are the good, the bad and the ridiculously ugly:

Good

Transamerica- Felicity Huffman is brilliant and I kept forgetting that she's a woman in real life.

Soldiers in the Army of God- documentary about pro-lifers with crazy facial hair. I highly recommend.

Into the Wild- This might be one of those rare times when the movie is better than the book.

Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi- Fascinating look at evangelical Christians in America. My favorite moment in the movie was when Ted Haggard and a few of his church members claimed that their wives climax every night. Too bad his little scandalous affair became public a few days after this film aired on HBO.

4 Little Girls- Another brilliant piece from Spike Lee. It takes a look at the 16th St Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham in 1963 that killed four girls and shook up the civil rights movement. I dare you to try and not cry while watching it.


Bad

August Rush- So corny. And yet I did shed a tear toward the end.

Terms of Endearment- What is the deal with Debra Winger's laugh? I was so annoyed with it that I feel I didn't give the film my full attention.


Ridiculously ugly

Because I Said So
- Mandy Moore should not be allowed to act. Ever. It was painful to watch. Oh, and the part where she explains to Diane Keaton what an orgasm feels like was horrendously awkward.



I hope you found this educational and useful for your future movie viewing.

No comments: