Sunday, June 15, 2008

Mexico

Just got back from Mexico yesterday and am still trying to catch my breath as well as catch up with all that I've been disconnected from. I'll keep this one brief so I can save the good stuff for conversations to come. Here are the bullet points of the trip:

Highs

Long van rides full of quality conversations with the students- it's amazing how much better you can get to know each other when you're crammed into a small space!

Seeing old friends in Agua Prieta- it has been seven years since I've been there and it was great to see the pastor and his family plus all the church members.

Venturing to Hermosillo- I always love seeing new places.

VBS- I enjoyed making a fool out of myself as the kids tried to speak to me in Spanish and I would respond with silly faces. Despite that, the kids had a great time and I think they learned a lot.

The beach- Despite most of our group frying in the sun, it was a beautiful day of relaxation.

The food- delicious.


Lows

Spiritual dissonance- I realize that I've got more soul searching to do than I realized which will probably result in a break from the church for a while.

TMI ALERT: if "girl issues" freak you out, quit reading this post- I was disappointed by Aunt Flo's insistence on coming along to Mexico. I was hoping she'd delay her visit by a week, but she was punctual as usual. She made the beach day particularly aggravating and forced me to wear my cranky pants for a majority of the week. On the plus side, she provided the hilarious experience of buying tampons in a Mexican convenience store where they only sell size Jumbo.


I guess that's about all. I've learned in the past that the lessons from these Doulos trips usually continue to penetrate my heart for months and even years afterwards, so I don't have too much reflection to talk about just yet.

No comments: