Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Crazy Bag Lady

I struggle with the amount of things I have to take with me every time I leave the house these days.

If I have baby in tow, the diaper bag must be equipped with all of the necessary things. Diapers, wipes, burp clothes, an extra change of clothes. It's a lot, but it doesn't compare to the number of things I need when I leave the house without her.

When it is just me, especially when I am going to work, I feel like the crazy bag lady with all of my gear in hand. There's the usual stuff like my computer bag, planner, various books. Plus a packed lunch which is about twice as big as it was even when I was pregnant. Breastfeeding causes a huge boost in appetite, since it requires about 500 extra calories per day. So I feel like I pack half of our pantry for every meal.

Breastfeeding humor- HUNGER!!! Bwahaha I was like that with Rocco. ALWAYS EATING!!:

And then there's the breastpump bag, which includes various parts and pieces which make the process work. This also requires a cooler of some sort with freezer packs to keep the milk cold. If I forget one tiny little valve or don't bring enough bottles, I'm screwed because I work in a town that doesn't even have a Wal-Mart, so finding extra supplies is a 40 minute trip. Not exactly how I want to be spending my time.


I have found that I'm rather good about making sure I have all of the right pieces, especially after that one Sunday when I went to work and left the entire bag, breast pump and all, on the counter at home. It's a miracle there wasn't an explosion of milk by the time I gave the benediction.

But inevitably I will forget something at home. Like yesterday when I forgot my sunglasses, Fitbit, and wallet. It made for a rather squinty day of uncredited steps and thankfulness that I had a full tank of gas.


No comments: